Room 9 was the original master bedroom of the original 8000 sq. ft. mansion, Villa Crawford, which Mr. & Mrs. Robert B. Crawford built in 1912.
In the late 1960s, Keswick Club's 10 tennis courts included the first indoor courts south of Washington, DC; a space bubble was installed over three of the courts.
The original Fred Findlay golf course had only 9 holes and opened in 1949. The second nine holes opened in the spring of 1956. Arnold Palmer redesigned the golf course twenty years ago, flipping the nines, and the course reopened with the present clubhouse in 1992.
In 1980, scenes from The Four Seasons were filmed here. Alan Alda, Carol Burnett, and Rita Moreno starred, and you can clearly see the Villa Crawford, Room 12, and Room 9 in several scenes. The carpet on the stairs in those days was red.
Sir Bernard Ashley, the widower of Laura Ashley, purchased the dilapidated Villa Crawford-turned-country-club in 1990 and expanded it into a beautiful 48-room luxury inn. Keswick Hall opened in August 1993.
Keswick Hall's library houses over 400 books by Virginians or about Virginia.
The hotel's premier restaurant, Fossett's, is named after Edith Fossett, who was Thomas Jefferson's head cook at his nearby Monticello estate during the 16 years of his retirement.
Arthur Ashe played an exhibition tennis match at the Keswick Club with U.S. David Cup members Charlie Pasarell and Donald Dell on November 2, 1969.
The original owners of Villa Crawford had twin boys who frequently rode their miniature donkeys around the estate.
Please click here to read about Keswick's 100 years of history.